Search This Blog

Thursday 12 May 2011

12. Ambika's Honda CBR 1000RR, 2010




Name: Ambika Sharma
Profession: COO - Media House
City: Delhi
Motorcycle Club: G.O.D.S

"I have always believed that we are limited only by ourselves we can’t do most things because we think we can’t and thus never even try. So I am a superbiker I ride a 1000 CC Blade and on any good day flying at 245KMPH is part of the deal. Its not a competitive prove a point thing. It’s just me being me. Biking has been, is and will always be a special part of my life. "



What the manual says about her bike..

Displacement: 999.00 ccm (60.96 cubic inches)
Engine type: In-line four, four-stroke
Power:175.3 bhp @ 12000 rpm
Torque:84 lb- ft @ 8500 rpm
Compression: 12.3:1
Bore x stroke: 76.0 x 55.1 mm (3.0 x 2.2 inches)
Valves per cylinder: 4
Fuel system: Injection. Dual Stage Fuel Injection (DSFI)
Fuel control: DOHC
Ignition: Computer-controlled digital transistorized with three-dimensional mapping
Cooling system: Liquid
Gearbox: 6-speed
Transmission type,
final drive: Chain
Driveline: #530 O-ring-sealed chain
Fuel consumption: 6.36 litres/100 km (15.7 km/l or 36.98 mpg)
Greenhouse gases: 147.6 CO2 g/km. (CO2 - Carbon dioxide emission)
Emission details: Meets current EPA standards. California version meets current California Air Resources Board (CARB) standards.
Chassis, suspension, brakes and wheels
Rake (fork angle): 23.3°
Trail: 96 mm (3.8 inches)
Front suspension: 43mm inverted HMAS cartridge fork with spring preload, rebound- and compression-damping adjustability
Front suspension travel: 109 mm (4.3 inches)
Rear suspension: Unit Pro-Link HMAS single shock with spring preload rebound and compression-damping adjustability
Rear suspension travel: 137 mm (5.4 inches)
Front tyre dimensions: 120/70-ZR17
Rear tyre dimensions: 190/50-ZR17
Front brakes: Double disc
Front brakes diameter: 320 mm (12.6 inches)
Rear brakes: Single disc
Rear brakes diameter: 220 mm (8.7 inches)
Physical measures and capacities
Dry weight: 320.0 kg (705.5 pounds)
Weight incl. oil, gas, etc: 199.1 kg (439.0 pounds)
Seat height: 820 mm (32.3 inches) If adjustable, lowest setting.
Wheelbase: 1,407 mm (55.4 inches)
Fuel capacity: 17.79 litres (4.70 gallons)






What Ambika has to say about her Fireblade..


1. Tell us about the first time you ever rode a bike, what was the feeling like?
a.The 1st time I was on a bike was my dad’s Royal Enfield, my feet dint touch the ground! The feeling of finally having the machine to myself for a few minutes was exhilarating, that was when I decided I had to have one of my own.

2.Give us a list of all the bikes you’ve owned. Which one holds the most special part in your life?
Of all the machines the 600 is the one, which holds the top slot. My 1st SBK it was a truly cherished ride, I also experimented the maximum on it. Right down to designing my own kit and getting it done from China! Great fun!
a. Java
b. Enfield 535
c. Suzuki samurai
d. Honda Fireblade 600
e. Honda Fireblade 1000 C-ABS

3. Why the blade? How long have you had it and how many KM have you done?
a.Well I bought the blade for its ease of handling, super neat looks, longevity (Honda is known to be a tough machine) and the fact that it’s the nicest color in the category. Its just 11 months old and its clocked 11,000 on the odo.

4. What’s undoubtedly the best attribute of the Blade
a.It’s a Honda and that was my biggest pull to buy it, my previous experience with the Blade has been great! The current experience with service leaves much to be desired! But it’s a great bike non-the less.


5.If there were something about the Blade you would improve what would it be.

a.The Honda India service without doubt – needs a complete make over really fast!



6.Have you run into any mechanical/electrical faults if yes how did you get it fixed?
a.The C ABS model has been a real disaster world over, and I have a ton of trouble with the current blade! What did I do? Well, got help from forums and fellow riders from G.O.D.S, figured out the issue, then told the shop what to do .

7.What Performance Mods have you done on your bike?
a.Well not much as yet, a double bubble, K&N filter and a Two Brothers exhaust. With the warranty threat looming in the background I’m a bit weary of playing with the electricals, this considering I have an almost new bike with the changes under warranty!!


8.What cosmetic Mods have you done on your bike?
a.Nothing much really the 2010 Orange silver Blade is beautiful I did put 3M to avoid scratches on the cowl, gel grips in orange and rest is just the basic sliders and spools but apart from that nothing as yet.


9.Where do you get your accessories from?
a.I’m mostly buying off the net, my fav is bikebandit ….

10.How friendly are Indian roads to a female rider on a superbike, have you ever had a bad experience?
a.Indian roads are not friendly to any one on a superbike, a bit more for women though. But it goes with the territory. Not only do I get almost every guy on the road rearing to race but it’s the fellow travelers who suddenly see the kajal mascara lined eyes behind a helmet on a mean bike which is my gallery of Kodak moments. Guys nudge each other, women at times give the thumbs up sign and kids just wave happily. While I would not repeat a few experiences but its all in good fun at the end of it all.

11.How has your life changed ever since you began riding Super Bikes?
a.My life is the same, not much of a difference bikes have always been a part of my life. There is however the fact that I now spend an increasing amount of time with the bike. More than me changing I think its peoples perspective has changed. In a country where grown men are at times not allowed by their parents to buy a two wheeler I have chosen the strangest of passions! Super bikes! “These 1000 CC Machines of the “dangerous kind” are certainly not for women!” I have heard that more than once accompanied by shocked and at times disapproving expressions. It’s amusing to say the least however this is the lighter fun side to my not so common hobby. I come from a family where “you can’t” was not a term my parents used, fauji kids we traveled the country climbed every mountain and swam every river celebrated every fall and got on bikes before our feet touched the ground. It’s from here that the fun began and it’s been a series of shocked faces ever since. People think I’m either eccentric or just plain crazy!



12.What can be done to convince more women riders to take to the roads on superbikes?
a.I do not think you can convince any one to get on a superbike, not even guys let alone women! It has to come from within. You have to love the machines and the thrill of riding to go and treat yourself to a superbike. If you don’t love them then don’t get on them!

13.Tell us about you’re riding gear and the best way to purchase them?
a.Good gear is very important and I rarely ride without mine. In India its difficult to get good gear for any one and impossible to get women’s gear at all! I mostly buy mine on the net though I have found some stuff at Performance racing.


14.If you could buy any bike in the world, money no object, which one would it be?
a.Y2k :) I’d say! But actually would love to have a busa if I could just manage the weight!



15.What according to you is the best colour combination on a bike?
a.I love reds and oranges for the lead color on a bike. I like the Repsol but currently my favorite is the Orange Silver on my blade.

16.Describe how your ideal weekend looks like..
a.Ideal weekend …. Hmmmmm. Ok so ideally a few hours ride to the beach at Mexico, couple of hours of diving, dinner on the beach and early sleep . In reality though it’s more like a weekend trip anywhere within a 600 kms radius of the city, with some great weather.

17.Have you ever given a pillion ride to anyone? Did you enjoy the look on their face?

a.Hmmmm not sure I could ever look at their face during the actual ride! Just two brave hearts who tried the pillion seat! My sister quite enjoyed the speed but the only other person who did is a colleague at work, and she got off at the DND toll preferring to walk the rest of the way. Guess that sums it up.

18.What’s the max figures that you’ve seen on the speedo?.
a.245 KMPH is what I have seen on my current bike and revving for more!

19.What advice would you give to riders who one day aspire to break into the superbike club?
a. I would say if you are going to buy an SBK for any thing but the love of biking. Then DON’T! And if you love superbikes and want to ride for a long time to come then go slow and steady. Every one has their pace find yours and then stick to it! These machines don’t like to give very many 2nd chances.




20. Last question.. What gender is your bike? And what do you lovingly call it?

A.Well technically considering the language “she” as in all bikes. I don’t have a very fancy name; I just call my bike THE BLADE.

11 comments:

  1. u wrockzzzzzzzzzzzzz......!

    ReplyDelete
  2. An exquisitely elucidated experience(e.e.e.) especially with the pros & cons & the article posted on FB discussion thread too. Loved the point no. 17 (wish you could capture that moment for later laugh...lol) & point 19, indeed a definite criterion for any budding rider with love for these machines luring inside. The Blade fits perfect!! Thanx for sharing, thanx Vijay Abraham Thomas Sir!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you every one, ride safe and sane!

    ReplyDelete
  4. kudos to dis girl...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish i culd get a ride from u... U rock \m/

    ReplyDelete
  6. amazing experience u hv shared wid us ambika.. u cn b a gr8 insipiration fr females who cnt come up wid there wishes to b a rider... ol d best.. n hv a gr8 journey's ahead...
    cheers...!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks every one! i recently read a piece on India's 1st woman on a Harley. Vijay it would be a real neat one if we could get a post here! ... till then Ride safe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Ambika, I'm sent her a message on FB. no reverts yet. will sure like to post her on this
    thank you

    ReplyDelete
  9. would love 2 meet u mam someday but i will meet u or try to meet u wen i too ride a sbk.

    ReplyDelete
  10. you are the inspiration for newcomers

    ReplyDelete